How cute are these?! Yes, yes I know it’s past the Christmas season but with the crazy of the holidays I never got around posting them. I just love the colors in these cookies with the deep brown of the chocolate to the stark white of frosting with that lovely deep red of the cherry. It doesn’t hurt that they taste fabulous.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tbs brandy
1 cup powdered sugar
36 maraschino cherries with stems, drained
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp oil
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, vanilla and egg yolk until light and fluffy. Add flour and cocoa, beat until well combined.
2. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. With index finger, make indentation in center of each cookie.
3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Spoon 1/2 tsp of filling into center of each cookie. Press cherry into filling.
5. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with oil over low heat, stirring constantly. Spoon or drizzle melted chocolate over the cherry on each cookie. Let stand until the chocolate is set.