So yaaaah, I looked back at when I last posted a recipe on this blog and it was approximately 9 weeks ago, right when I found out I was pregnant and immediately began the morning sickness cycle which has prevented me from wanting to cook or bake anything. However, things are a little better, and in a moment of feeling good, I signed up for a blogging cookie exchange. I’m glad I did as it forced me to bake again, which I love, and I have gotten two packages of the yummiest cookies. I can’t wait to get the recipes!
I got Festive Itailian Cookies from Carol. These are sweet and crumbly and oh so very good. Perfect with a cup of tea. Or coffee. Or milk. Or by themselves.
I also received some of the best and softest gingerbread men I have ever had. When I took this picture there were already half missing. These are from Elena.
I also just received some Spiced Cookies filled with cranberry jam from Erin. I haven’t had time to photograph them yet but let me tell you, they are as beautiful as they are delicious. Take a look at the link to see them in all the beauty. They put my misshapen cookies to shame. 🙂
For my cookies, I baked my Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. These are the cookies that I fall back on every time when I have a huge chocolate craving. These are soft and oh so chocolaty. They take a little bit of effort but are soooo worth it.
And I learned something about myself when making them. While I am an engineer, a hands on perfectionist I am not. While the dough logs I made looked nice and symmetrical, the cookies came out all sizes. I never claimed to be Martha Stuart!
The picture above was the original batch of cookies I made for the cookie exchange. Somehow, either the way I weighted the packages or how the terrible printer at home printed the labels, it looks like the packages are floating around the post office system somewhere. I just made another batch and sent them out, this time going right up to the post office window and having them figure out the postage. Lesson learned! I am so sorry to all my cookie recipients out there. I hope you get your cookies soon!
I did change up the recipe a little for the next batch and decided to make them a little more Christmas like. I thinned out the log to about 1.5 inches, lowered the cook time to 11 minutes and plopped a candy cane Hershey Kiss on top once they were out of the oven. Yum!
Triple Chocolate Cookies
adapted from Ghirardelli
1 bag 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp espresso powder
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1. In a double boiler (or a bowl sitting on a sauce pan of simmering water), melt the bittersweet chocolate chips and butter.
2. With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
3. In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and espresso powder. Stir into chocolate mixture.
4. Gently mix in semi-sweet and white chocolate chips.
5. Using a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. The dough will be very soft so use the plastic wrap to aid in making the logs. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour. It also freezes well at this stage.
6. Preheat oven to 375F. Unwrap dough and with a sharp knife, cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place 1-2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until a crust forms on top of the insides still look gooey.
8. Let cool on the cookie sheet. Enjoy with a big glass of milk.