These sweet potatoes can easily be listed in a cookbook for ways to get your toddler to eat vegetables. My almost 3 year old eats them like the candy that she thinks they are. While they do take an hour to cook, the prep time is almost nothing. It does regulate these to a weekend meal for this working mommy but they are worth the wait.
The slow heating of the foil tented sweet potatoes in the cold oven allows for the starches to be gently converted in to the maximum amount of sugars and then the foil removed roasting after, caramelizes the outside to a slightly crispy deliciousness.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
slightly adapted from Cooks Illustrated
2 lbs sweet potatoes, ends trimmed, peels and cut into 3/4 inch rounds
1 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tsp table salt
ground black pepper
1. Toss potatoes in a large bowl with oil, salt and pepper to taste until evenly coated.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet and cover tightly with foil.
3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and place potatoes in cold oven. Turn oven to 425F and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the top layer of foil and continue baking for 15-25 minutes or until bottom edges of potatoes are golden brown.
5. Remove baking sheet from oven and carefully flip the potatoes over. Continue roasting until potatoes are golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.